Saturday, March 9, 2013

Carrot Ginger Coconut Soup... And a Recipe for Baby Too!

I've been on a bit of a soup kick lately.  I'm not sure if it's this time of year, or the fact that I love how satisfying it is to smell a pot of soup simmering on the stovetop, all the while knowing that I will be happily eating the leftovers for days to come.  I decided to take a more exotic route with the soup I made yesterday, and man did it pay off!  This carrot ginger coconut soup is just so delicious and easy to make, that I had to share.  Personally, I think it is enjoyed best with a nice big glass of prosecco... cheers!


Ingredients:

6 carrots, peeled and diced
1 small onion, diced
1 tbs curry powder
1 tbs minced fresh ginger
1, 14 ounce can coconut milk
3 cups vegetable stock
2 tbs olive oil
salt and pepper

Over medium heat, in a large pot, saute onions, carrots, and ginger  in olive oil until onions become translucent.  Then add vegetable stock and curry powder, as well as salt and pepper to taste.  Allow to simmer about 20-25 minutes, or until carrots are tender.  Turn off heat, and let cool a bit.  Add can of coconut milk, then puree in food processor, blender, or with immersion blender.  Enjoy!

And... because Max needs to eat too, and I like to use what we have on hand, I whipped him up a batch of strawberry banana basil baby food.  Here is the recipe for that.


Ingredients:
1 pint of strawberries, hulled and sliced
2 bananas sliced
2-3 fresh basil leaves

Now, I have a Beaba baby food maker, but this recipe could just as easily be made on the stove top and with a blender or food processor.  Basically, you just want to steam the ingredients until they are soft, then puree them to the desired consistency for baby!  I got 7 large servings out of this.

No comments:

Post a Comment