Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Painted Wooden Spoons

I told you I had some catching up to do... This is a project I actually did a few weeks back and just had to post about! Of course, it is yet another Pinterest find, that I just knew I had to do the second I saw it.



Most of us already have a collection of wooden spoons at home... A couple of mine are actually pretty beat up, but I love them and still use them all the time! When I saw this pin, I thought it was a great way to spruce up something I already had!
So I started by wrapping some painters tape (you know, the blue stuff you use to tape off trim when you're painting your house) around the handle of each spoon. I did this at varying positions on each spoon, but you can do yours however you'd like. I used Martha Stewart Multi-Surface High Gloss acrylic paint, and I really like the way it gave the handles a shiny, enamel-like finish.


These are the only colors I actually purchased, and I mixed them until I came up with more colors that I was happy with. The paints were purchased at Joann Fabrics, and I never buy anything from there without a coupon... So I'm pretty sure I got a few of them for 40% off.  Either way, they are less than $2.00 each, so this does not have to be an expensive craft.
I did one coat of paint and then set each spoon in its own glass to dry so they wouldn't rub off on each other.  Once they were dry, I went back and added a second coat. After letting the second coat dry, I took all of the spoons outside and gave the handles a good spray with a clear finishing shellac.  I used Zinnser Bulls Eye shellac, which I found at Lowes, and is totally safe to use on items that will be handling food.
Once the shellac was dry, they were ready to use... And I can't express enough how much I love the 
way they came out! I have them proudly displayed right next to my stove, where they are handy for cooking and I can admire them!

No comments:

Post a Comment